Constructing a Storm deck for an upcoming event - help appreciated!

xSkeletalxxSkeletalx Posts: 90 ✭✭
CARD LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED 5/16/18

I'm working on building a Storm deck to bring to my first event later in the month. So far I'm working with the following :

HERO
Lalu the Rascal - I like the "comeback" mechanic built into her ability, and I've tried to lean a little heavier into Lightning cards to take advantage of her Superiority. My deck is currently built to play aggressively, putting pressure with lots of Attacks, some card draw, and heavy hits during turns when Storm Shaman is active. I'm still working on my sideboard options, as well.

Cold Snap (L, L, W)
Electrified Deluge (L, L, W)
Storm Calling (W, A)
Storm Wall (L, W, A)
Lightning Storm (L, A)

ATTACKS
Dust Fiend x 3 (A)
Spark Wisp x 3 (L)
Heroic Starfish x 2 (W)
Crackling Beast x 3 (L)
Sneaky Kreebal x 2

DEFENDS
Vitalizing Frog x 2 (W)
Delivery Crab x 2 (W)
Lightning Eel x 3 (L)

BUFFS
Thunder Slug x 3 (A)
Cloud Harvester x 3 (A)
Storm Shaman x 3 (L)
Mari Bard x 1 (A)

My thought process with this deck was to try to keep constant pressure. Integrate some card draw and healing, focus on hitting hard during Storm Shaman active turns, and use small cost combos to make sure that I have "tempo" by not needing to dump too many cards from my hand in order to play those combos. Dust Fiend is a must, because of its flexibility for playing combos, and cards like Delivery Crab and Heroic Starfish let me get two effects for a single action. I'm considering whether I should add additional damaging buffs to my deck, as those activating on a Storm Shaman turn can add a significant amount of damage.

In a perfect world, Cloud Harvester and Storm Shaman hit on the same turn. Next turn they rotate, dealing 5 damage. With Storm Shaman active, I then play Spark Wisp for 5 (+4) and Crackling Beast for 3 (+4) and remove Cloud Harvester for an additional +3. In one turn, this string of cards deals a total of 24 damage!

If I already have a Combo Buff active, an additional 8 damage is added on at the start of the turn, bringing the total up to 32 damage!

If I'm below 10 health, I can play an additional card (let's say, Dust Fiend) for another 8 damage, bringing the total without a Combo Buff to 32 damage, or 40 damage WITH the Combo Buff active!

Any thoughts, comments, concerns, and advice are welcome and appreciated!

Comments

• xSkeletalxxSkeletalx Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Please take a look at my current decklist and share any thoughts or criticisms you might have, I'd really like some feedback to help me fine tune the deck further!
  • GrimSnikGrimSnik Posts: 4
    the deck looks solid for the most part. there are two things that stand out to me though which might be an issue.

1) you have no damage reduction.... Bubble Fish. in and of itself that's not a game breaker, but you only have healing up to 24 points via Heroic Starfish, Delivery Crab, and Vitalizing Frog. but assuming you use all 3 Therapeutic Eels, you will lose 9 life, which means you're actually only gaining 15 life from the aforementioned cards. this means your total life for the entire game, including your starting health, is 45 points. ( again assuming you use all 3 Therapeutic Eels)

you might want to swap out the Eels for another Delivery Crab and a Heroic Starfish to a) boost your life total, b) add more damage dealing potential, and c) add a little speed. i might also consider an Umbron Informant to help with the speed/card draw without having to take the 3 damage from the Eel. the only other swap in this vein that stands out to me is maybe adding one more Vitalizing Frog in place of one Crackling Beast. if you swap out everything this way you gain and additional 6 life and only lose a potential 3 damage from the Crackling Beast as a third Heroic Starfish makes up for the base damage of the replaced Crackling Beast.

2) the second stand out for me is in the combo cards.

Cold Snap is a great card, but you may want to consider putting it into the sideboard as the Thunder Slugs and Mari bard are very effective at handling buffs. Cold Snap might just be a little overkill unless you go up against a buff heavy deck. an alternative might be Cleansing Wind. it does 9 damage which keeps the pressure up, and forces the recipient to return to their deck all action cards of one element of your choice. this can really slow an opponent down and also buys time for you as they might need a turn or two to reset their hand.

the second combo that stands out is Storm Calling. i've played this in several Storm decks and the only one that it was really useful to have was with Party Planner Nishi. the Storm Order has an astonishing amount of damage it can deal from it's basic action cards, so retrieving combos for the type of deck you have in mind, might be a little redundant. if you consider that if you draw this combo turn one, you could be sitting on this card the whole game and never have a reason to use it because you haven't had any combos hit the discard pile yet. there are three choices that i like to replace this: Electro Stun (L, W)for damage and to slow your opponent down for one turn. Overload (L,L) for potentially really high damage, or Flying Debris (A,A) for damage and it essentially pays for itself or allows you to draw cards if your current hand isn't what you need.

one last thing to keep in mind is that a Storm deck becomes more and more dangerous as the game goes on due to it's large assortment of direct damage cards. most opponents will run out of damage reduction and healing long before you run out of damage to deal. and of course Lalu's special ability means that if you can put a Storm Shaman into play and then have 3 actions when it rotates active, you can deal in one turn: Spark Whisp (9), Dust Fiend /Sneaky Kreebul (8), and Crackling Beast/Heroic Starfish(7-10) a total of 24-27 damage without having to rely on aligning other action or combo buffs with the Storm Shaman.

good luck in the event.
    GrimSnik said:

Snipped for brevity.

Thank you for the feedback! I hope you don't mind a little more discussion;
    • One point worth making is that so far my experience with Lightseekers (outside of finding the game at PAX) has been limited to myself and a group of three friends. So far, it's been pretty rare for this deck to find itself on the losing end, and I haven't needed to worry about needing an excessive amount of healing, or damage reduction. The deck has played highly aggressively and tends to just pound away and finish games relatively quickly. Do you think it's worthwhile to slow the deck down by adjusting the balance more towards a long, survivability based game?
    • Re: Umbron Informant vs Theraputic Eel - I originally did not have Theraputic Eel in the deck, and was using Mantix Raider x3, Heroic Starfish x3, and Delivery Crab x3. I dropped the Raiders for the Eels due to the extra efficiency of trading one card and one action (and taking 3 damage of course) for three cards, allowing me to keep up pressure pretty easily. I've also adjusted a few other cards in the deck, I'm going to run a couple test games today or tomorrow with 2 Evaporators to see if those are effective as additional attacks with boosts from discarding Combos which I decide not to use.
    • I think you're right about Storm Calling; I think I've only really used it once or twice. I'm thinking of replacing it with Overload, Electro Stun, Nimbus Crash, or maybe Tornado?
  • GrimSnikGrimSnik Posts: 4
    I played a Captain Jolti deck at PAX East and in my local store events and on average i healed for at least 20 health a game in addition to using Bubble Fish to reduce damage. in that deck i have 3 each of Heroic Starfish and Delivery Crab as well as a Flood combo and an Aquadart Crab item. and in most games, i'd still use Captain Jolti's ability at least once as well. Lalu the Rascal is different though in that you have Lightning Superiority whereas Captain Jolti has only Inferior Elements. the aspect i found most difficult in playing Storm was staying alive for just one more turn to finish off my opponent..... but with Lalu the Rascal maybe you won't need just one more turn as you'll have 3 actions when your health is down. :)

if you're concerned about not having enough card draw by adding in another Heroic Starfish, then perhaps use a Hurricane Spirit instead. you still get to draw three cards and it forces your opponent to return 2 cards to their deck. it has the added bonus of luring out opponent's buff removal on it rather than your Storm Shamans.

in any case i'd recommend using the deck that you feel most capable playing. in Lightseekers, playing a deck well is better than having a killer deck that one is not as practiced using. i've played the Captain Jolti deck over 50 games and i still discover new ways to do things based on my opponent's deck and playstyle.
    *UPDATE!*

Having completed the event yesterday, I thought it was worth updating here in case anyone was curious.

My tournament deck was as follows:

HERO
    Lalu the Rascal

COMBOS
    Cleansing Wind (A, A, L)
    Electrified Deluge (L, L, W)
    Storm Calling (W, A)
    Storm Wall (L, W, A)
    Lightning Storm (L, A)

ATTACKS
    Dust Fiend x 3 (A)
    Spark Wisp x 3 (L)
    Heroic Starfish x 2 (W)
    Crackling Beast x 3 (L)
    Shadowy Figure x 2

DEFENDS
    Vitalizing Frog x 2 (W)
    Delivery Crab x 2 (W)
    Therapeutic Eel x 3 (L)

BUFFS
    Thunder Slug x 3 (A)
    Cloud Harvester x 3 (A)
    Storm Shaman x 3 (L)
    Mari Bard x 1 (A)

SIDEBOARD

Cold Snap (W, W, A)
    Sneaky Kreebal x 2
    Weapon Master x 1
    Bubble Fish x 3
    Delivery Crab x 1
    Vitalizing Frog x 1

Overall, I'm very happy with this deck's performance. The tournament had 11 players in it, and I finished in second place. Not too bad for my very first event with a self-constructed deck! People were complimentary about the deck and how I played it, and specifically mentioned that they felt it played very fast and was very aggressive. The only player I lost a match to was playing a Dolo deck, and unfortunately I had some difficulty with the way my cards were drawing which gave me some struggle, and contributed a lot to my losses.

My favorite match of the day was against a fellow Storm player who was running an Ushi deck. We had a very relaxed match, laughing and joking, and sharing insights on Storm decks/cards with one another before, during, and after the match! It was nice to meet someone who enjoys playing Storm, and he had a solid deck. His combos hit hard and often thanks to Ushi, so our games became somewhat of a slugfest! The highlight of the day for me happened during our third game, when the Ushi player played Flood, bringing himself to 28 health and dropping me below 10 health; I had played a Storm Shaman and a Cloud Harvester the previous turn, and I was able to kill him in a single round to win the match and secure my spot in Top 4.

5 damage from Cloud Harvester at the start of the turn.
    Crackling Beast for 3 + 4 + 3 (removing Cloud Harvester)
    Spark Wisp for 5 + 4
    and then Shadowy Figure for 4 + 4
    Altogether, a total of 32 damage!

I don't really see too many changes I'd make to the deck after having played in this event, at least not yet. I may find a way to adjust to work in at least one Bubble Fish, and I picked up two Mari Bards, so those might also find their way into the main deck. Shadowy Figure and Sneaky Kreebal are both cards I like, but I'm having a hard time deciding which will be the better card in more situations. I really had fun at the event and playing this deck, and I plan to try to make it to nearby events when I can!